Aeon Labs Recessed Door Sensor, Gen 5 (ZW089A)

• Last Post 29 December 2015
brett.e.baldin@gmail.com posted this 29 November 2015

After a month of playing around with these recessed sensors I have found that they are VERY tricky to get to work in ICHA correctly.

I think the biggest problem is getting them included properly. These units are security-enabled sensors and it would appear that using either the Z-Stick unplugged, or through ICHA, does not properly pull in all of the correct classes. This appears to be a timeout issue. ICHA does not fully understand the type of sensor - it shows as a motion sensor instead of a binary when it is added.

If you use Zensys to add the sensor and keep pushing the button, eventually it goes completely through and adds successfully. The 10-second wakeup built into the sensor is not long enough; it often takes as much as 30 seconds of communications to get set up.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=4A2DFE531A60552B!13974&authkey=!APacnh5NTGBeW-A&ithint=folder%2cpdf

As you can see in the screen shot, the device does not get interrogated correctly. It shows as a Generic Device:07, Specific Device Class:01. This likely causes some of the strange issues I have seen since I don't think ICHA knows how to handle this device.

Once you add the device in Zensys you can go back to ICHA and auto-configure it. The device will not read status unless you do. If you are not getting a battery indicator, chances are your classes did not load successfully and you will need to try again.

Make sure to set parameter 101 to 1 (this turns on battery monitoring, and set 121 to 272 (Basic Reports + Battery Reports) Getting the timing just right to change the params on this device can be tricky.

brett.e.baldin@gmail.com posted this 29 December 2015

After a month of playing around with these recessed sensors I have found that they are VERY tricky to get to work in ICHA correctly.

I think the biggest problem is getting them included properly. These units are security-enabled sensors and it would appear that using either the Z-Stick unplugged, or through ICHA, does not properly pull in all of the correct classes. This appears to be a timeout issue. ICHA does not fully understand the type of sensor - it shows as a motion sensor instead of a binary when it is added.

If you use Zensys to add the sensor and keep pushing the button, eventually it goes completely through and adds successfully. The 10-second wakeup built into the sensor is not long enough; it often takes as much as 30 seconds of communications to get set up.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=4A2DFE531A60552B!13974&authkey=!APacnh5NTGBeW-A&ithint=folder%2cpdf

As you can see in the screen shot, the device does not get interrogated correctly. It shows as a Generic Device:07, Specific Device Class:01. This likely causes some of the strange issues I have seen since I don't think ICHA knows how to handle this device.

Once you add the device in Zensys you can go back to ICHA and auto-configure it. The device will not read status unless you do. If you are not getting a battery indicator, chances are your classes did not load successfully and you will need to try again.

Make sure to set parameter 101 to 1 (this turns on battery monitoring, and set 121 to 272 (Basic Reports + Battery Reports) Getting the timing just right to change the params on this device can be tricky.

Close