Device error messages?

• Last Post 10 July 2015
Axial-User posted this 27 December 2014

Several of my devices show error messages.
"Command expired - node 30 ......"
I reset the error messages but a few days later the messages show up again and the devices are not responsive. Not all of my devices will show the error but several do. I have shut down and restarted IC but within a few days I get the same errors.
What is causing this? How can I keep it from happening.
Thanks

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ryan-Scott posted this 03 January 2015

Several of my devices show error messages.
"Command expired - node 30 ......"
I reset the error messages but a few days later the messages show up again and the devices are not responsive. Not all of my devices will show the error but several do. I have shut down and restarted IC but within a few days I get the same errors.
What is causing this? How can I keep it from happening.
Thanks

Generally speaking, z-wave devices will occasional not respond, as this is the nature of radio communications. If something interferes with the signal, it could happen randomly. However, that said, it shouldn't cause the device to be non-responsive like you are suggesting is happening. What kind of devices are you talking about? Is it all devices that become non-responsive or is it just a few of them?

Axial-User posted this 04 January 2015

It always seems to be more than one, but never all the devices. Thermostats and lights. Sometimes all of my thermostats, but sometimes just one. Never all of my lights, but usually several. So far my locks have not shown this issue.
thanks

Ryan-Scott posted this 05 January 2015

It always seems to be more than one, but never all the devices. Thermostats and lights. Sometimes all of my thermostats, but sometimes just one. Never all of my lights, but usually several. So far my locks have not shown this issue.
thanks

So are you saying when the problem happens, the impacted devices won't respond to any command? And during this time, other devices will still work?

Axial-User posted this 05 January 2015

Good question. I only know the devices showing an error message will not function via my cell phone app. I have not tried others before I reset the effected ones.
But this issue pops up every couple of days so when it happens again I will try other devices via app and IC and report back my findings.
thanks

Axial-User posted this 07 January 2015

checked IC today and there are about 6 devices with the error message. some thermostats and some lights. i tried to operate them before i reset the errors. from IC, some would function, although response was very slow, some would not. tried to operate them from my phone app, same result. also, delayed response on the ones that would respond.
i tried other lights and thermostat that did not have an error message and they did respond, although also very slow.
while i was playing with these devices, an error message popped up on another device (light) that i was not even messing with.
any ideas?
thanks

Ryan-Scott posted this 07 January 2015

checked IC today and there are about 6 devices with the error message. some thermostats and some lights. i tried to operate them before i reset the errors. from IC, some would function, although response was very slow, some would not. tried to operate them from my phone app, same result. also, delayed response on the ones that would respond.
i tried other lights and thermostat that did not have an error message and they did respond, although also very slow.
while i was playing with these devices, an error message popped up on another device (light) that i was not even messing with.
any ideas?
thanks

If you watch your USB stick for a few minutes, does the light ever go dark and stay dark for an extended period of time?

Axial-User posted this 07 January 2015

It will blink and go dark for a few seconds but it didn't seem like it was dark for much longer than that.

Follow up to last nights post. When i looked at IC this morning, there was a message that said it was no longer responding and needed to be shut down and restarted.

Axial-User posted this 13 January 2015

I continue to play with my system and pay attention to what seems to be happening. lately i notice that after i reboot IC i can get 1-3 device state changes to happen before error messages start showing up. the errors don't show up on devices that i am using but on all kinds of other ones. thermostats always show the error messages and lately one thermostat in particular will error message and not come online with the other devices.
any suggestions?
thanks

monkey-magic posted this 13 June 2015

I'm going to bump this up.

Have you found a solution?

I'm getting the same thing as well. A lot of delayed warnings.

Similar results. Some items work but delayed responses.

Josh

Axial-User posted this 14 June 2015

Sorry you are having similar problems. I never found a definitive fix for it but updating to the most recent IC version did lessen the occurrences and speed up general device responsiveness. i do however still occasionally get the error messages and lately more frequent complete shut downs of IC.
IC will give a message that says there was a problem with IC and it had to be shut down.
I close it and reopen it and all is well again but no idea why that is happening.
I guess for now it is just something we have to live with. sad its that way, but no alternate choice right now.

monkey-magic posted this 14 June 2015

I've probably noticed the same. I've had it quite a while but never really looked into it. I just assume it's one of the risks with being early adopters.
I have noticed less since updating to version 4.
I'm luckier than you though,never had shutdowns.
Josh

Skip posted this 09 July 2015

Mine is giving error codes also, they all say command timed out but everything seems to be working fine. It's bothersome to look at the device screen and see it loaded with bright red exclamation marks. This is only happening now that I have upgraded to the GEN5 stick by the way.

erocm1234 posted this 09 July 2015

I've had this problem for a while. My network seems to run fine but almost every device has a red exclamation mark on it. Wish I could just turn them off.

Axial-User posted this 10 July 2015

Since I've updated to IC 4.0.5 I too have had more than the unusual amount of devices not responding, it's currently showing 7 red marks. I've tried the 'heal network' to no avail. I have about 30 devices so I was thinking perhaps the auto-polling is colliding with other polls. By default polling for devices (except battery devices) is 30 secs so at 30 devices that would be 1 poll every second. I'm also getting these 'warning' delays in the events screen so I'd expect that delayed responds would overlap other polls that are being made. What is the purpose of polling anyway? When a switch is turned on, isn't a signal sent to the controller, as being event driven versus polling for state?

By the way I like the events screen, I hope more major events are shown there versus the flat log file.

-N

rscott posted this 10 July 2015

Could you start a new thread with some of your ideas on the new event ideas?

As for polling, most switches do not send changes to the controller though there are some that do. If you can associate it with the USB stick it should. Otherwise you need to poll to get current status.

Close