EV100 Wireless Z-Wave HVAC Vent

• Last Post 20 July 2015
DarkStar posted this 23 June 2015

I just installed 5 z-wave floor vents to manage the distribution of air in our central heat/air system so I can shut off rooms that are not used or reopen the vent when they are occupied. With summer here now closing the vents downstairs focuses the cold air upstairs and fights convective heat rise in the structure during the day.. Yowski, what a difference it makes. Naturally one must be judicious about shutting too many vents and then "choking" the blower and icing up the condenser but you could do that any time up to now manually. When one gets too long in the tooth to be crawling on the floor, scrambling under furniture and climbing up ladders these things are cooler than the other side of the pillow.

These come in various sizes and colors and are drop-in replacements for your current floor or wall registers. They use 2 AAA batts. with indicator lights, manual switch control and can be opened and shut in increments. They are very quiet in operation and batteries can last up to a year with two operations per day (eh, we'll see). I found that the metal register plate can be removed from the body of the vent and custom painted if you wish.

I know... reads like a commercial. I've no connection with the company, scout's honor! I was giggling like a schoolgirl as these things whirred open and close on command. I wish I'd invented them. I'd be on that boat in Fiji that I dream about.

Google " EcoNet EV-100". Online they meander between 65 and 100 bucks each.

J.

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
jrichards posted this 25 June 2015

J.
Cool product, does it have a percent of open or close?

Thanks,

Jim

weidnerj posted this 26 June 2015

[quote=jrichards]J. Cool product, does it have a percent of open or close?

Thanks,

Jim[/quote]

http://econetcontrols.com/EV100.php

DarkStar posted this 27 June 2015

Yes. It has limit switches to indicate full open or closed and it uses those to open partially by fully closing first and then opening to the selected percentage.

rscott posted this 20 July 2015

This is a pretty cool product, thanks for sharing! Wish I would have read this post 21 days ago when we were going through a local heat wave.

Are you still enjoying the product?

DarkStar posted this 20 July 2015

They're working great. Battery life is not an issue... yet. They don't go through many operations per day here. Lately because of an epic heatwave here in the Northwest they've been kept mostly wide open trying to keep up. We've broken all records in weather history up here. These devices have earned their keep.

Close