Gen 5 Controller

• Last Post 17 December 2015
MikeD99 posted this 07 July 2015

I would like to know how to set up a gen 5 ZWave controller. I have one and Ryan mentioned that it's better. I would like to have step by step instructions to copy over my existing system to the new controller. Apparently it uses ZenTools. I need help with exactly what to do with ZenTools. It is a mystery to many who use it.

Also, in the latest version of the InControl SW there is an option under Tools to "Transfer Network to New Controller." I would like to know how to use that. I cannot find any info on that I tried clicking it but it was unclear on how I should proceed.

Thanks, I think other people will be interested in this also,
Mike Driscoll

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
erocm1234 posted this 09 July 2015

I don't have time to write up a complete step by step but I can give you an outline:

1. Plug both controllers into your computer and make sure InControl is shutdown.
2. Open two instances of zensys-tools ZWaveController.exe
3. Connect one instance to the current controller and one to the new controller.
4. If you have done anything to the new controller you may have to reset it. Make sure you don't reset the current controller. This can be done on the controller tab on the right.
5. On the current controller click the "+" add icon.
6. On the new controller click the Learn Mode Lightning icon also under the controller tab.

This should transfer all the node info over to the new controller.

The next part I haven't actually done so some guess work here.

7. On the current controller click the "Shift" icon under the controller tab.
8. On the new controller click the Learn mode Lightning icon again.

After this you should be able to unplug the old controller, start up InControl, and change the COM port settings in the config.

You will also have to change the associations on your devices to associate with the new controller.

Read the steps carefully and proceed with caution. It should work as I have done most of these steps myself.

brett.e.baldin@gmail.com posted this 17 December 2015

Couldn't get this to work exactly as stated but I was able to do the following to move from one Z-Stick Gen 5 to another:

Insert the original stick and connect to it with the ICHA software.
Go to the Tools: Z-Wave Commands and select Transfer Network to New Controller
Insert the new stick in a second USB port.
Open up ZenSys and connect to the new stick.

As of now you will have ICHA connected to the current controller, and Zensys connected to the new controller.

In Zensys, reset the new controller to erase it. MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON THE NEW CONTROLLER OR YOU COULD ERASE YOUR NETWORK.

Under the Controller Tab, click the lightning bolt icon (Start Learn Mode)

In ICHA, proceed with the transfer as prompted.

The network will then be transferred to the new controller. Remove the old controller, close both ZenSys Tools and ICHA. Reopen ICHA and change the COM port to the address of the new controller and make sure it connects.

As stated above, you will also need re-associate your devices. Run an auto-configuration on each device.

Close