Help Including Leviton 4-Scene Controller with switch.

• Last Post 24 September 2015
Axial-User posted this 19 February 2013

All:

I just purchased a Leviton VRCS4-MR which is a 4 scene controller that also contains a switch and am unable to figure out how to include it in a network whose primary controller is a Z-Stick.

The inclusion of this device is different from any I've seen. As I understand it - it is poorly/inaccurately described in the Leviton manual, it is a two step process. The first step requires one to access Program Mode. This step includes the controller and essentially disables the switch.

The second step requires a entering a different programming mode and then selecting a button. This step is responsible for assigning a button to the switch.

I suppose one possibility is to switch primary controllers making my VRCPG the primary and the Z-Stick the secondary. But I'm not sure how to do this either.

Thanks in advance for the help.

-steve

You are correct, their instructions are indeed confusing. I've got the "zone" version of that device without the local switch, so my help may be somewhat limited.

The instructions make it sound like there are really two inclusion processes and that you'll end up with two nodes in your network from this one device. My interpretation of the instructions go like this:

1 - On the device, press and hold buttons 1 & 3 for 5 seconds until you see an amber LED. Release buttons and LED will blink.
2 - Put your master controller into "Add" or "Include" mode to add the controller (wait a few seconds?)
3 - Put your master controller into "Add" or "Include" mode a second time to add the switch

Normally I'd expect to have to push a button after step 3, but the instructions don't make it appear that you need to. If nothing happens after step 3, try pushing the first button on the device (that's said to be the default switch button).

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ryan-Scott posted this 19 February 2013

All:

I just purchased a Leviton VRCS4-MR which is a 4 scene controller that also contains a switch and am unable to figure out how to include it in a network whose primary controller is a Z-Stick.

The inclusion of this device is different from any I've seen. As I understand it - it is poorly/inaccurately described in the Leviton manual, it is a two step process. The first step requires one to access Program Mode. This step includes the controller and essentially disables the switch.

The second step requires a entering a different programming mode and then selecting a button. This step is responsible for assigning a button to the switch.

I suppose one possibility is to switch primary controllers making my VRCPG the primary and the Z-Stick the secondary. But I'm not sure how to do this either.

Thanks in advance for the help.

-steve

You are correct, their instructions are indeed confusing. I've got the "zone" version of that device without the local switch, so my help may be somewhat limited.

The instructions make it sound like there are really two inclusion processes and that you'll end up with two nodes in your network from this one device. My interpretation of the instructions go like this:

1 - On the device, press and hold buttons 1 & 3 for 5 seconds until you see an amber LED. Release buttons and LED will blink.
2 - Put your master controller into "Add" or "Include" mode to add the controller (wait a few seconds?)
3 - Put your master controller into "Add" or "Include" mode a second time to add the switch

Normally I'd expect to have to push a button after step 3, but the instructions don't make it appear that you need to. If nothing happens after step 3, try pushing the first button on the device (that's said to be the default switch button).

Axial-User posted this 20 February 2013

Here are the steps I took to get it to work:
3 - Put the device into "set switch button mode" by holding down buttons 2 & 4 until the LEDs light up
4 - Put your master controller into "Add" or "Include" mode a second time to add the switch

A fair bit of magic to this.

donb01 posted this 20 March 2015

Sorry to dredge up a 2-year old thread, but I have the version that is a 4-scene controller with dinner and IR. VRCS4-M0Z
I followed part of your directions, but was unsure because to my knowledge this does not have a switch.

I held down buttons 1&3 and all the LEDs lit up Amber - they did not flash. I put my ZStick into include mode and it included the device as it was. The Amber LEDs went off. I did not do the second step with buttons 2&4 because I don't know that there is a switch.

So I put the ZStick back on the computer and restarted InControlHA (free, for initial testing) and it added in a "dimmer switch"

I don't know if that is correct. I do know I can rename it. If the device was properly installed then how do I assign the 4 buttons to the scenes? If it wasn't properly installed, then what should I expect to see if I do it correctly, and how do I program the buttons to scenes? I would expect it to come up like a secondary controller or something like that?

Thank you.

Ryan-Scott posted this 20 March 2015

Sorry to dredge up a 2-year old thread, but I have the version that is a 4-scene controller with dinner and IR. VRCS4-M0Z
I followed part of your directions, but was unsure because to my knowledge this does not have a switch.

I held down buttons 1&3 and all the LEDs lit up Amber - they did not flash. I put my ZStick into include mode and it included the device as it was. The Amber LEDs went off. I did not do the second step with buttons 2&4 because I don't know that there is a switch.

So I put the ZStick back on the computer and restarted InControlHA (free, for initial testing) and it added in a "dimmer switch"

I don't know if that is correct. I do know I can rename it. If the device was properly installed then how do I assign the 4 buttons to the scenes? If it wasn't properly installed, then what should I expect to see if I do it correctly, and how do I program the buttons to scenes? I would expect it to come up like a secondary controller or something like that?

Thank you.

If it functions like the zone controller does, then you use the association button to assign lights to group's 1-4 (or however many buttons it has) which corresponds to the buttons on the controller. You may need to get a 30-day trial going to get access to the associations button (get a key at www.incontrolha.com).

donb01 posted this 20 March 2015

Thank you! Upon reading the documentation for the device it referred to association, so I ended up registering the software so I could use that function. I had absolutely no idea that the groups represented the buttons on the device until I found out by accident. I had been trying yesterday to program the scene controller according to the directions about holding down one key until it flashed, then setting your scene and hitting the button again but it would not take the programming. When I did my associations tonight I had everything in group 1 not knowing any better. Once again I was trying to program the keys, and when I hit the first button and everything lit up it surprised the heck out of me. Then I couldn't figure out why the first button worked and none of the other ones did. The light bulb came on, so to speak, and I wondered about the group numbers, so I messed with it. and I got the buttons to respond, but not the way I wanted them to. Finally I tried programming the scenes on the controller the way the directions said AFTER I had associated the devices I wanted to each group (button). I put the button in programming mode on the device, set my scene and then hit the button again and it saved it the way I want. I now have my scene controller programmed the way I want it. All off, "pre-movie", "movie" (AKA reference lighting), and "work lights". I know I can run the scene controller by hand, or with my Harmony remote. Now I have to see if I can program the software scenes to work the same way so I can also use the cell. Once I get the hang of this I can see myself upgrading a bunch of the house to work this way. It's pretty cool :o)

lizkumar posted this 24 September 2015

I have created associations for the 4 groups that correspond to each button on the controller. I have created 4 scenes. One for each group/button. How do I assign a scene to a button?

THanks

kuchinn

Close