Raspberry PI

• Last Post 04 March 2016
brett.e.baldin@gmail.com posted this 15 February 2016

Is a port for ICHA still in work for the Raspberry PI? I haven't seen much activity at all here lately and I am concerned that the ICHA platform development has become stalled.

I really like this software but I need a solution that allows me to move off of a full scale PC to something like the RPI. Can you tell us how close a port is or if it is now off the table?

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
rscott posted this 17 February 2016

With the introduction of cheap Windows tablets (i.e, I picked up a Winbook from Microcenter for around $50), we've postponed the move to the raspberry pi. I should say at least the Linux version won't likely happen soon, though there's still the possibility we'll have a Win 10 version that runs on a pi.

Also, be sure to watch the InControlha.com downloads page. We generally release at least one update per month, if not more.

brett.e.baldin@gmail.com posted this 18 February 2016

That is disappointing, to say the least. The cost is not really the issue for me as is the ultra reliability of a Linux platform unit. I have run ICHA on my Surface Pro 2 using Win 10 but I still have the same issues as the desktop version (has to be restarted every day or two because devices stop showing status in the interface correctly, extremely slow button indications and such). I had hoped that a RPI port in Linux would solve some of these issues by eliminating the bloat of Windows code.

I do try to keep my ICHA updated to the latest possible releases. I will keep watching for a Win 10 IoT version for the PI.

rscott posted this 18 February 2016

That is disappointing, to say the least. The cost is not really the issue for me as is the ultra reliability of a Linux platform unit. I have run ICHA on my Surface Pro 2 using Win 10 but I still have the same issues as the desktop version (has to be restarted every day or two because devices stop showing status in the interface correctly, extremely slow button indications and such). I had hoped that a RPI port in Linux would solve some of these issues by eliminating the bloat of Windows code.

I do try to keep my ICHA updated to the latest possible releases. I will keep watching for a Win 10 IoT version for the PI.

Sorry to turn the thread in another direction... I find it odd you need to restart your computer. I run on the Winbook with an Atom CPU - it's by no means a heavy duty machine. I've got 90+ nodes and I can run for months without a restart-- in fact, I've never had to restart it since I upgraded to a more stable USB stick (the series 2 z-stick was a problematic piece of hardware for me).

brett.e.baldin@gmail.com posted this 18 February 2016

Not the computer itself. I have to restart the ICHA server software every day or two. What generally happens is that lights that are actually on (even if triggered by macro) do not show as being on in the software. I have polling set on most devices at around an hour each - these are staggered by 20 seconds to avoid excessive traffic on the network. I do not poll the battery devices at all and have their reporting turned down to limit traffic.

Another issue that I have is if I click the button in the software to turn on a light, the light usually turns on immediately but I get a spinning circle for a couple of minutes in the software before it actually indicates the lights' status. This is not an issue when I can see the light but if I am turning on or off the basement or garage lights I have to sit there and make sure ICHA actually did what I told it to do. If I let the server run more than a couple of days this gets progressively worse. Sometimes the light fails to turn on or off at all. Often the only real indication I have is the Wattage from the smart devices showing 0w off.

One odd thing is that if I trip the lights using the mobile client on my Windows phone, the indicators in the software change almost immediately without the spinning wheel.

What type of stick are you using? I have an Aeon Gen5 stick running about 150 devices. I can watch the traffic on the stick using the Zensys software and it seems to work just fine. I wish ICHA had this feature built in because you have to take it offline to troubleshoot in this manner.

weidnerj posted this 18 February 2016

Not the computer itself. I have to restart the ICHA server software every day or two. What generally happens is that lights that are actually on (even if triggered by macro) do not show as being on in the software. I have polling set on most devices at around an hour each - these are staggered by 20 seconds to avoid excessive traffic on the network. I do not poll the battery devices at all and have their reporting turned down to limit traffic.

Another issue that I have is if I click the button in the software to turn on a light, the light usually turns on immediately but I get a spinning circle for a couple of minutes in the software before it actually indicates the lights' status. This is not an issue when I can see the light but if I am turning on or off the basement or garage lights I have to sit there and make sure ICHA actually did what I told it to do. If I let the server run more than a couple of days this gets progressively worse. Sometimes the light fails to turn on or off at all. Often the only real indication I have is the Wattage from the smart devices showing 0w off.

One odd thing is that if I trip the lights using the mobile client on my Windows phone, the indicators in the software change almost immediately without the spinning wheel.

What type of stick are you using? I have an Aeon Gen5 stick running about 150 devices. I can watch the traffic on the stick using the Zensys software and it seems to work just fine. I wish ICHA had this feature built in because you have to take it offline to troubleshoot in this manner.

Sounds like you have a ZWAVE conflict going on somewhere. I had the same problem and honestly think that you need to reset your ZWAVE devices by turning off the main power for a few minutes. I did that, and unassociated each device and blew away my ICHA configuration and reinstalled everything, to include recreating each scene and rule - but just turning off the power might have been enough.

brett.e.baldin@gmail.com posted this 19 February 2016

Sounds like you have a ZWAVE conflict going on somewhere. I had the same problem and honestly think that you need to reset your ZWAVE devices by turning off the main power for a few minutes. I did that, and unassociated each device and blew away my ICHA configuration and reinstalled everything, to include recreating each scene and rule - but just turning off the power might have been enough.

I think if I have to remove and re-add all these devices again I am going to run amok. Went through that 4 times last year with Vera which is why I moved to ICHA in the first place. I have probably 25 or so of these devices buried in circuit boxes, etc. I actually did just that a few weeks ago anyway. Truth is that ICHA behaved pretty much the same before I rebuilt it.

I don't think ZWave is conflicted based on watching the network work with IMA Tools (from Aeon Labs). It shows each devices operation and you can watch how they communicate during a network heal with each other, latency, etc. I have found rogue devices before with this tool flooding the network with traffic (usually battery devices) that cause problems but everything seems to run fine.

I am pretty much at a loss what to do with it at this point. It does work for the most part so I will probably just put up with the anomalies in the interface.

sundansx posted this 03 March 2016

Sorry to turn the thread in another direction... I find it odd you need to restart your computer. I run on the Winbook with an Atom CPU - it's by no means a heavy duty machine. I've got 90+ nodes and I can run for months without a restart-- in fact, I've never had to restart it since I upgraded to a more stable USB stick (the series 2 z-stick was a problematic piece of hardware for me).

What stick did you move to? I am thinking of buying another stick and am wondering what you are using. thanks

rscott posted this 03 March 2016

I tried the Aeon Labs GEN5, and it worked great. I stopped using it once after it self-reverted to a secondary controller. I'm currently using the Nortek Quickstick Combo.

sundansx posted this 03 March 2016

do you know if this Nortek stick is Gen 5 zwave capable?

brett.e.baldin@gmail.com posted this 04 March 2016

do you know if this Nortek stick is Gen 5 zwave capable?

It's a series 500 controller so yes - it should be compatible with Gen5 Zwave.

sundansx posted this 04 March 2016

How does the problem manifest itself when it drops to a secondary controller? I have a Zstick gen5 and would like to know if any problems I have are related to this. thanks.

Close