Support Linear WD500Z-1 dimmer switch?

• Last Post 02 January 2016
Dignan17 posted this 15 April 2015

I'm kind of freaking out here. I'm smack-dab in the middle of transitioning away from Vera Lite to InControl HA, and I'm run right into a brick wall. My Aeon Labs Z Stick isn't letting me pair my Linear WD500Z-1 dimmer switches. If I can't pair these I'm not going to be able to switch to ICHA because I have about a dozen of them around my home (and as much as I like ICHA I'm not swapping out a dozen light switches just to use it).

Has anyone else paired one of these switches with the Z Stick? I've only seen mention of these switches on this board in a couple posts, but they seemed to imply that they were on the poster's system...

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ryan-Scott posted this 15 April 2015

I'm kind of freaking out here. I'm smack-dab in the middle of transitioning away from Vera Lite to InControl HA, and I'm run right into a brick wall. My Aeon Labs Z Stick isn't letting me pair my Linear WD500Z-1 dimmer switches. If I can't pair these I'm not going to be able to switch to ICHA because I have about a dozen of them around my home (and as much as I like ICHA I'm not swapping out a dozen light switches just to use it).

Has anyone else paired one of these switches with the Z Stick? I've only seen mention of these switches on this board in a couple posts, but they seemed to imply that they were on the poster's system...

Yes, they definitely work. I believe the manual is wrong on how to include them. It says tap once or twice (I don't recall), but you have to tap 3 times generally. Be sure to perform an exclusion on them first just to make sure they are reset.

Dignan17 posted this 15 April 2015

Ahhh, thanks. I'll try that and report back.

weidnerj posted this 17 April 2015

Also make sure that you use your vera system and exclude your dimmer switch before trying to include it in ICHA. I know I can get mine to work with Incontrol HA but it always is a struggle.

Dignan17 posted this 17 April 2015

Also make sure that you use your vera system and exclude your dimmer switch before trying to include it in ICHA. I know I can get mine to work with Incontrol HA but it always is a struggle.

Yeah, I did that just to be safe. With the rest of the switches it was enough to simply put the ZStick in exclude mode and tap them, but the Linear switches ended up being way more obnoxious.

In the end, I have no advice for someone who was in the same boat as me and is digging this thread up in the future. What seemed to work for me was pulling the little plug at the bottom of the switch that cuts the power, pushing it back in, tapping the switch a bunch of times, pulling the plug again, pushing it in again, and tapping a bunch more times. Usually on that second time around the switch would finally exclude. I then went through the same process to include it, so basically it was all a big PITA. It wasn't two taps. It wasn't three taps. It was a hell of a lot of taps and cutting/restoring power to the switch. Very annoying.

I still have a WT00Z-1 that I simply couldn't get to exclude, so I'll have to figure that out...

scooter posted this 22 November 2015

Two taps for me, at least on the first one. Two more to go.

Dignan17 posted this 23 November 2015

Strange. I had a couple of them work that way, but the rest needed incessant tapping to get included. Very frustrating.

dridgely posted this 01 January 2016

I just purchased 2 from InControl. I am able, after some pain, to get them included in the network. However, I can't get them to associate with the controller. I can get the WT00Z Accessory switches to associate, but not the WD500Z-1's. I've excluded and re-included them, but no luck. They will auto-configure, but the association always fails. And, when I click on associations, InControl tells me that the switches don't respond to the associated device request. The documentation says they support association, so I'm at a loss. My Aeon Labs micro switches all work without a hitch. Any help would be appreciated.

rscott posted this 01 January 2016

I just purchased 2 from InControl. I am able, after some pain, to get them included in the network. However, I can't get them to associate with the controller. I can get the WT00Z Accessory switches to associate, but not the WD500Z-1's. I've excluded and re-included them, but no luck. They will auto-configure, but the association always fails. And, when I click on associations, InControl tells me that the switches don't respond to the associated device request. The documentation says they support association, so I'm at a loss. My Aeon Labs micro switches all work without a hitch. Any help would be appreciated.

Those dimmers actually don't support associations; I'm surprised the documentation claims they do... I brought this up with Nortek and they said that they can't support it because of a standing patent that prevents it. Perhaps they did at one point and have since removed the feature?

dridgely posted this 01 January 2016

Interesting. Quote from the top of page 2 of the included instructions under the heading "Association:"

"The WD500Z-1 supports the association command."

Does that mean, that InControl can not know the state of the device apart from polling?

brett.e.baldin@gmail.com posted this 02 January 2016

You might try using Zensys to check your node and see if association is definitely supported. Highlight your node and then click the node information button. In the list that results look for command class 85. If this shows, your device supports association.

This gives a fairly good overview of the Z-Wave command classes:

http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/ZWaveCommandClasses

Close