Upgrade from Aeotec ZStick Gen 2 to Gen 5

• Last Post 17 February 2019
lamspam@wi.rr.com posted this 19 December 2018

I am relatively new to this and only have a couple of switches that I use to turn lights on and off.  I have been using an Aeotec ZStick Gen2 with AxialControl software.  I have purchased a Gen5 stick and would like to move devices and scenes to the new stick without starting from scratch.  Is this possible?  I tried to use the "Transfer Network to new Controller" command but it appears to hang when it tells me to place the new controller in Include mode.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

MAC

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
klimekt posted this 17 February 2019

Having just transfered the network from one USB stick to another I can shed some light as to why it doesn't work well. The devices are transfered fine as are the routes. Where it gets screwed up is that the old USB stick is transfered to the new one as the "USB Stick" device and all the associations are still pointing to the ID of the old stick. The new stick shows up as "Controller" in the device list. It is necessary to remove the old stick device manually and rename Controller to USB Stick, finally you have to go into each device and manually update it's associations to associate Group 1 to the new stick.

The way this should work, the "Transfer Network to New Controller" option should update the associations for all devices to point to the new USB stick during the copy.

rscott posted this 19 December 2018

I know it's not what you want to hear, but I would recommend starting from scratch. I suggest it because I rarely see a transfered network function properly after everything is said and done.

If you do choose to start from scratch, you'll need to go around to each switch and run an "exclude" using either USB stick. Once you do this, you'll be able to re-include using the new USB stick.

Close