Windows Phone 8 App hit or miss.

• Last Post 13 January 2014
Matt posted this 13 January 2014

I am using Cloud Connect on a Nokia 1020 running Windows Phone 8 GDR3.

If I open the InControl App on the phone it takes about 5-40 seconds for device to show up. I am then able to control most devices but do not receive realtime feedback of device state changes.

If I control a thermostat from the phone the device state does not change until I force close the app on the phone and restart the InControl app on the phone. For example, the app on the phone will show the thermostat is currently in Heat Mode and has a setpoint of 65 degrees. I then change the thermsotat set point via the phone to 55. If I physically look at the thermostat I can verify it actually received the commands and the setpoint is at 55 and the zone is off. If I look on the phone it still shows the setpoint at 65 and the zone is running. I have to force close the InControl app on the phone and then reopen the InControl app to get it to show the correct settings of 55 and off.

I also have an Aeon motion sensor. Before I walk in to the room I open the InConrol app and open the Sensors page. It shows the device as No Motion. I then walk in to the room and the sensor never changes to Motion until I force close the app and reopen it. Then the sensor will show Motion.

It seems to me there is a bug in the Windows Phone app that causes it to get out of sync and the only way to update it is to force close the app and reopen it. By force close I mean hitting the X on the app screen when switching between apps. Simialar to swiping up on an iPad/iPhone to close a running app.

Can a "refresh" button be added to the Windows Phone app so we can force it to re-sync with the controller without having to close and reopen the app everytime. Ideally it would refresh automatically, but at the very least it would be nice to have a manual refresh in the app.

Finally if the InControl app is running and you lock your phone and then unlock the phone InControl will no longer function until you force close the app and reopen it. It shows all of the devices in the state they where in before the phone was locked, but when you attempt to switch a device from on to off or vice versa the app goes through the motions but the controller never receives the request and the device never actually changes state, even though the app says it did it. Very bad, when you are away from the house and think you actaully made a change when in reality you have not.

I am constantly having to force close the app on the phone before I do anything to make sure it is working. Even them I'm never 100% sure unluse a force close one more time and check the device status a second time.

Please fix.

Ryan-Scott posted this 13 January 2014

I am using Cloud Connect on a Nokia 1020 running Windows Phone 8 GDR3.

If I open the InControl App on the phone it takes about 5-40 seconds for device to show up. I am then able to control most devices but do not receive realtime feedback of device state changes.

If I control a thermostat from the phone the device state does not change until I force close the app on the phone and restart the InControl app on the phone. For example, the app on the phone will show the thermostat is currently in Heat Mode and has a setpoint of 65 degrees. I then change the thermsotat set point via the phone to 55. If I physically look at the thermostat I can verify it actually received the commands and the setpoint is at 55 and the zone is off. If I look on the phone it still shows the setpoint at 65 and the zone is running. I have to force close the InControl app on the phone and then reopen the InControl app to get it to show the correct settings of 55 and off.

I also have an Aeon motion sensor. Before I walk in to the room I open the InConrol app and open the Sensors page. It shows the device as No Motion. I then walk in to the room and the sensor never changes to Motion until I force close the app and reopen it. Then the sensor will show Motion.

It seems to me there is a bug in the Windows Phone app that causes it to get out of sync and the only way to update it is to force close the app and reopen it. By force close I mean hitting the X on the app screen when switching between apps. Simialar to swiping up on an iPad/iPhone to close a running app.

Can a "refresh" button be added to the Windows Phone app so we can force it to re-sync with the controller without having to close and reopen the app everytime. Ideally it would refresh automatically, but at the very least it would be nice to have a manual refresh in the app.

Finally if the InControl app is running and you lock your phone and then unlock the phone InControl will no longer function until you force close the app and reopen it. It shows all of the devices in the state they where in before the phone was locked, but when you attempt to switch a device from on to off or vice versa the app goes through the motions but the controller never receives the request and the device never actually changes state, even though the app says it did it. Very bad, when you are away from the house and think you actaully made a change when in reality you have not.

I am constantly having to force close the app on the phone before I do anything to make sure it is working. Even them I'm never 100% sure unluse a force close one more time and check the device status a second time.

Please fix.

Thanks for the detail report. I've added a uservoice idea to track this and to get it on the list.

Close