getting error "Device did not respond to 10 consecutive poll attempts"

• Last Post 12 December 2013
rkroboth posted this 12 December 2013

Since I upgraded to 3.48.5074.20109 a few weeks ago, I've been having frequent and constant problems with the InControl HA software correctly communicating with my various devices. The main effect is that the software thinks the device is off, when it's actually on (or less often vice versa). Secondary effect is that the software is very slow to change the device state, or sometimes fails to change the device state at all. I also frequently see a little red circle on the device with an exclamation point in it, and clicking on the circle brings up the message "Device did not respond to 10 consecutive poll attempts. Would you like to reset this message?". Sometimes I don't see this error message appearing, but the device is still reported off even though it's on. Also when I open up the "properties" dialog of the device, I sometimes don't see anything at all next to the field "Last Communication". Although I see this happening across all the devices, it seems to severely concentrate itself on a few of the devices, with two of the devices in particular almost always not reported correctly. Of these two devices, one is in the same room as the controller about 10 feet away, and the other is in another room in the house. There's no rhyme or reason I can see that it's these two devices mostly. Even with these problem, I can typically activate a scene that contains a problem device, and the device turns on or off correctly, so it seems like the controller always has actual connectivity with the devices.

I'm a little concerned that the problem is new in the latest 3.48 build of the software. The reason I say that is because before this upgrade I was using InControl 3.30 and I never had any errors like this during several months of usage. All of my devices were controlled pretty much instantly from the software, and the software always correctly reported the state of every device perfectly. I never saw any error about polling as described above.

Wondering if there's any known issues that are causing this or any potential solutions? Or anything I can do to get to the bottom of it?

I'd be glad to send screenshots or logs of whatever if that helps.

Thanks!

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
monkey-magic posted this 12 December 2013

I think there is a newer version out at the moment from memory. Ryan would know the details. Not sure if that would solve your problem.

Josh

I didn't know that thanks - just downloaded and installed it (3.54.5090.10353). Will see if this helps, thank you!

Ryan-Scott posted this 12 December 2013

Since I upgraded to 3.48.5074.20109 a few weeks ago, I've been having frequent and constant problems with the InControl HA software correctly communicating with my various devices. The main effect is that the software thinks the device is off, when it's actually on (or less often vice versa). Secondary effect is that the software is very slow to change the device state, or sometimes fails to change the device state at all. I also frequently see a little red circle on the device with an exclamation point in it, and clicking on the circle brings up the message "Device did not respond to 10 consecutive poll attempts. Would you like to reset this message?". Sometimes I don't see this error message appearing, but the device is still reported off even though it's on. Also when I open up the "properties" dialog of the device, I sometimes don't see anything at all next to the field "Last Communication". Although I see this happening across all the devices, it seems to severely concentrate itself on a few of the devices, with two of the devices in particular almost always not reported correctly. Of these two devices, one is in the same room as the controller about 10 feet away, and the other is in another room in the house. There's no rhyme or reason I can see that it's these two devices mostly. Even with these problem, I can typically activate a scene that contains a problem device, and the device turns on or off correctly, so it seems like the controller always has actual connectivity with the devices.

I'm a little concerned that the problem is new in the latest 3.48 build of the software. The reason I say that is because before this upgrade I was using InControl 3.30 and I never had any errors like this during several months of usage. All of my devices were controlled pretty much instantly from the software, and the software always correctly reported the state of every device perfectly. I never saw any error about polling as described above.

Wondering if there's any known issues that are causing this or any potential solutions? Or anything I can do to get to the bottom of it?

I'd be glad to send screenshots or logs of whatever if that helps.

Thanks!

You might consider the possibility that you've got a device that's actually not communicating properly. You've got the symptoms of it, especially if you are seeing a message about 10 consecutive polls. Though that message has likely always existed, it's only recently been added to show up in that red exclamation point.

One thing you could do is open up your logfile.txt (found in the install folder of InControl) and examine it for node errors. Sometimes it'll help you find and isolate potential problem areas in your network.

Also, you could do a couple of network heals to firm up the communication between your nodes.

One final note - you mentioned that sometimes devices respond slowly to commands. This can happen if your USB stick is "tied up" waiting for a response from another device. For example, let's say your USB stick sends a poll request to a light that doesn't respond. The USB stick will either wait for the light to respond or it'll timeout after 30 seconds. During this time, no other commands can go out to your network. A telltale sign that you've got this problem is that the light on the USB stick will go black for an extended period of time. One way to test to see if this is a problem would be to turn off polling for all devices and see if the response time improves.

That is possible, I have one device that a got only a few weeks before I upgraded, and only really started using it when I plugged a Christmas tree into it recently. Is it possible that communication problems with one device can cause other devices that used to communicate well to seem to have communication problems too?

rscott posted this 12 December 2013

That is possible, I have one device that a got only a few weeks before I upgraded, and only really started using it when I plugged a Christmas tree into it recently. Is it possible that communication problems with one device can cause other devices that used to communicate well to seem to have communication problems too?

Yes, you'd mostly see it in cases where delays occur to certain devices. I've also seem instances where a really bad device could cause your USB stick to lock up until you remove it from the USB port and re-insert it -- though this is super rare.

Close