Trouble connecting to LFM-20

• Last Post 13 December 2013
tbone1980 posted this 13 December 2013

I just received a new Z-Stick, Aeon door sensor, and LFm-20. I am trying to get it setup to work with my garage door. The issue I am having at the moment is getting the LFM-20 to connect to the Z-stick so that I can control it from the software. I have tried two different ways. The first way was to remove the z-stick from my computer, press the button on it so that the blue light flashes and the press the button on the front of the LFM-20 once all while have the z-stick right next to it. I never saw the Z-Stick go to a solid light and eventually it just stops blinking. The second way I tried was having the z-stick connected to the computer and then using the z-wave command of adding a device in the software. This didn't work either and just sat there looking for a new device while I pressed the button on the front of the LFM-20. So then I decided to test the Z-stick out with the door sensor by adding adding the device through the software and that worked just fine. So my guess is I am either doing something wrong with the LFM-20 or it isn't working correctly. I should mention I do have the LFM-20 hardwired to a power source and connected to the garage door opener via the blue wires. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
SickPup404 posted this 13 December 2013

I've learned (the hard frustrating way!) to always do a remove first for a new device. I know it sounds strange, but that has fixed pairing problems for me on at least two occasions.

- Pull your Z-Stick from the PC.
- From the Z-Stick, press and hold the button until it goes to the fast blink (about 3-4 seconds).
- Hit your Z-Wave button on the LFM-20 to drop it from the network.
- Hit the button on the Z-Stick to take it out of removal mode.
- Hit the button on the Z-Stick to put it into pairing mode (slow blink).
- Hit your Z-Wave button on the LFM-20 to pair it with the network.

Pairing with the Z-Stick always works better for me (rather than while plugged into USB). Once you get the Z-Stick back to your PC, do network heals several times. Apparently this sets the transmit power on the network nodes so they know where they are in relation to other nodes.

HTH!

SickPup404 posted this 13 December 2013

Also, just to state the obvious, does the LED on the LFM-20 light up? Just make sure you don't have it hooked to a wall switch with power cut off! LOL!

Ryan-Scott posted this 13 December 2013

I've learned (the hard frustrating way!) to always do a remove first for a new device. I know it sounds strange, but that has fixed pairing problems for me on at least two occasions.

- Pull your Z-Stick from the PC.
- From the Z-Stick, press and hold the button until it goes to the fast blink (about 3-4 seconds).
- Hit your Z-Wave button on the LFM-20 to drop it from the network.
- Hit the button on the Z-Stick to take it out of removal mode.
- Hit the button on the Z-Stick to put it into pairing mode (slow blink).
- Hit your Z-Wave button on the LFM-20 to pair it with the network.

Pairing with the Z-Stick always works better for me (rather than while plugged into USB). Once you get the Z-Stick back to your PC, do network heals several times. Apparently this sets the transmit power on the network nodes so they know where they are in relation to other nodes.

HTH!

Not much I can add to this (Thanks SickPup!) other than to mention that the LFM-20 is a pain to pair with. I remember with mine, I had to do it multiple times to get the timing right and it required many pushes of the LFM-20's button -- it almost seems like I had to do a triple push insanely fast to make it work.

tbone1980 posted this 13 December 2013

Thanks guys I will try this when I get home. The LFM-20 does have the green light on it so power is all good. That green light does go out sometimes when I press the button, is that ok?

Close